Friday, May 1, 2009

Update on the Tickers

Wednesday I called the doctor to make an appointment to see her about my tick situation. I called the only doctor I have seen since moving here so they know me pretty well. I was explaining my problem to the woman who answered the phone and she began laughing at me. She then transfers me to the nurse, Sandy and I leave a message. Sandy calls me back and when I tell her that I don't have anyone to help me remove and check for the ticks because Howard is out of town, she says "Don't you have a mother?" Seriously, would I be calling you if I had my mom around to help me? What if I didn't have a mother? What if I had just lost her? I was floored. She tells me to come in sometime after 1 pm but says they are really busy and I might have to wait a while. OK, fine. So I get there about 2:30 and there is no one in the waiting room and she sees me within 2 minutes (riiiight, extremely busy). She tells me to strip from the waist down, and as I try to protest that I have them EVERYWHERE, she rudely tells me "I'm a doctor, not a tick remover" and leaves the room. I thought about walking out right then but I needed the help so I sucked it up and did what she said. So she checks me out and we find that all the ticks have fallen off. I ask her about one I have that looks infected because it's black and has a raised red rash around it. She says to get some Benadryl and that should make it go away.

So the next morning, the rash has doubled in size and spread and the black bite is even bigger. I freak out. I don't know whether to go to another doctor or a hospital. So I go to work instead. I know, real smart. But my internet wasn't working at home so I couldn't look up any other doctors. I call my mom on my way to work and get my dad instead who patiently tells me in so many words I am an idiot and to go take care of myself. 'Nuff said. Once I got to work and looked up doctors in the area that take my insurance, I picked the first one on the list. At this point, I'm figuring all doctors in Kentucky are quacks and this will probably be another waste of my time but I'll give it a shot. I lucked out. He's awesome. I love him. He spent 1 hour and 15 minutes going over every teeny tiny possible thing that could ever happen to me due to this tick bite. So the short of it is, the bite has to open on its own and all the nastiness inside has to drain out by next Thursday or he's going to have to lance it open for me. YAY. I'm on some very strong antibiotics in the meantime to reduce the swelling and the pressure on it. I feel soooo much better just knowing that I have someone that knows what he's doing and who took the time to answer every question and concern I had. I'm not looking forward to getting my leg cut open and I hope it doesn't come to that. But if it does, at least I have a capable doc doing it.

On a positive note, the doctor said I can't wear tight pants for a week, so I'm wearing sweat pants to work today! Does it get any better than that?

PS. Much thanks to Heather, Amanda and Rockett for talking me through my freak outs the last couple of days and not getting grossed out when I sent them a picture of the monstrosity growing on my leg. Ya'll are the best :)


  1. wow! this is one wild story! :-) i'm glad you're feeling better!

  2. Pleeeeeeeease post the oozing monstrosity pics on the blog!

  3. too funny! Although i would have totally been freaking out too! So glad you found a great doc.

  4. I'm glad you found a decent Doc in KY! It was freakin' me out as I was reading this just how horrific it would be to go through that & have no one there to help you out. That first Doc needs to have their ass handed to them. If something were to happen to you we're talking malpractice like a MOFO! Good luck sweetie!!!