Friday, June 11, 2010

Oh Happy Day!

For the last 10 days, I've had to go out of my way to get to work.  I've had to travel a little back road where the speed limit is 55 but no one seems to be in any rush and 35 seems to be the max anyone will do.  They closed the parkway down northbound from mile marker 14 to 21.  The worst part is I wouldn't remember until I got to the road to get onto the parkway and saw the closed sign.  Therefore I have been late to work the past 10 days.  Southbound never closed down (knock on wood) so my ride home was always a breeze.  Yesterday on my way home, I saw this:


Nothing special right?  WRONG.  That is a car coming northbound on the parkway.  It has reopened.  It was the happiest day of my life.

Until today. 

Yesterday was miserable.  It was 88 degrees in my office.  I was cranky.  And I hate being cranky.  I was sweating.  My clothes were sticking to me in all the wrong ways.  My back was acting up.  I have never dreaded coming to work but I did this morning.  I didn't want a repeat of yesterday.  I was telling Howard about it when he arrived home from work yesterday afternoon.  His response was, "I have the exact opposite problem.  My boss keeps the temperature at 67".  And to him I said, "Put a freaking (<---yeah, because we all know that's the word I used) sweater on and shut it".  What?  I told you I was cranky.  It's not like I can wear a bathing suit to work.  Though I'm sure the guys would love it.

But today it all changed.  I no longer have to work in the dark to reduce the temperature.  I finally asked Charlie to buy me an A/C unit.  And by asked, I mean convinced.  I may have said things like:

...The minute I get hot today, I am leaving.  And the minute I get hot on Monday, I am leaving.  And so on and so on. 

...My back started hurting again yesterday.  Remember last June when it started hurting?  I think it has to do with the heat!  I am going to sue for my medical issues.  Can you say WORKER'S COMP?

...I ripped my jeans yesterday.  A big hole in the front.  Do you know how I did that?  They ripped when I tried to pry them off my sticky, sweaty leg.  I am sending a bill for a replacement pair.

...GET ME A DAMN A/C UNIT!

So here I am.  A/C, lights and all.  And honestly, I'm a little cold now.  I might turn my space heater on.

No comments:

Post a Comment