Monday, January 4, 2010


Howard and I normally don't do anything for New Year's Eve mainly because we live too far away to get a cab from the bars downtown and driving is out of the question.  This New Year's was no different...or so I thought.  Howard had his last indoor soccer game of the season at 6 pm so he told me to meet him in Paducah for the game.  I got off work early and called him to tell him I would meet him at the house in Benton and we could drive in to Paducah together when he got off of work.  He told me to just go straight to Paducah and do some shopping or something.  I thought nothing of it and headed to the mall. 

After stopping in 3 different stores and spending money in all 3, I decided I needed to leave the mall asap.  I headed over to the bar to hang out with Potter (the bartender) and play some MegaTouch to kill some time.  I called Howard on the way to let him know where I was and to call me when he got to the gym for the game.  I just had a feeling that being it was NYE, not many people were going to show up for it and there wouldn't actually be a game.  I was chatting with some people in the bar and telling them that we were heading home after Howard's game when Howard walked into the bar about 5:15.  He ordered a beer and I looked at him strangely wondering why he was having a beer when he had a game in 45 minutes.  He informed me that he wasn't going to the game.  He had gotten a hotel downtown, the dogs were already there and we were out for a night on the town.  Needless to say, I was shocked :)  We left the bar and headed over to Outback since it was right next to the hotel he had booked. 

We closed down the bar at Outback with tons of other people and had a blast.  I know Outback sounds like a strange place to celebrate NYE but given it's Paducah, there aren't a ton of options.  We were getting ready to walk down the street to the hotel when we found out a guy we know who works there was off for the night.  He gave us a ride so we wouldn't have to walk in the 10 degree temperature.  It was a very fun night but unfortunately, I was asleep by 12:10.  Man, I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment