Thursday, January 21, 2010

KY Generosity

As I mentioned in my last post, our heat went out sometime Sunday night, only 3 days after we had closed.  We tried everything to fix it short of calling someone in.  Howard called the previous owner (who had been kind enough to give us his phone number at closing) to see if there was something we didn't know about.  He offered to send his guy who had worked on the system over to help us out.  The guy showed up Tuesday night about 6:30 and went about fixing the heat.  When he was done and Howard asked how much we owed him, he said, "Nothing, this is on Dwight".  We bought the house as-is from Dwight yet he was paying someone to fix our heat.  The guy then tells us that an electrician will be out the next night to rewire the heating system completely free of charge so we won't have anymore problems.  As promised, an electrician showed up last night to rewire the system and told us Dwight was covering it.  We were stunned.

Yesterday, I was all set to leave work a bit early.  I grabbed my purse and reached inside for my keys.  They weren't in their usual spot so I dumped everything out on my desk in hopes they were just deeper down somewhere.  Nope.  I checked my coat pockets, the drawer I keep my purse in, the path to and from my car.  I couldn't find them anywhere.  I glanced inside my car and that's when I saw them lying on the passenger seat.  Oh joy.  The maintenance tech, my boss and I tried unsuccessfully to unlock the car with wires.  I was about to call a locksmith when my boss had the idea to call the tow company we used the other day to lift a trailer from the mud it had sunk into.  They sent someone over within 5 minutes.  15 minutes later and I was sitting in my car with the keys in the ignition.  I asked the guy how much I owed him and he said nothing.  Again, I was stunned. 

So there really are some great pluses to small town life. 

PS. I figured it was about time I posted something nice about people in KY.

No comments:

Post a Comment