Monday, January 18, 2010

New House!!

So we got the house!!  We closed on Friday :)  I'm very, very excited!  We moved in on Saturday with the help of Howard's co-workers.  I took the dogs to the groomer at 7:30 in the morning so they would be out of the way.  I arrived at the house around 8 am to wait for DirecTV to show up.  The timeframe we were given was 8-12 so I figured I'd see them about 2 pm.  But they actually showed up at 9 am and were done by 9:45.  I couldn't believe it.  Howard called and told me they were on their way with the first load of furniture.  I waited.  And waited.  And waited some more and finally they pulled into the driveway.  I walked outside to meet them and Howard reported there was only one minor incident.  The bookcase and my desk had taken a spin on the highway.  The bookcase did not survive and the desk had a number done on it but I wanted to remain optimistic so I just said it looked aged and antique :)  At least it wasn't the TV.

They unloaded round 1 and left and I set out to unpack everything.  I had the entire kitchen, living room and all my clothes put away by the time they got back.  I was very impressed with myself until they continued to bring in box after box.  It was then I felt like I hadn't really gotten anything done at all.  It was nearing the time I had to go pick up the dogs so I left the house.  However, I forgot my phone.  I thought to myself, oh, it's no problem, I can get there without GPS.  WRONG.  I got extremely lost and ended up going in a huge circle and ending right back at our house...30 minutes later.  I got my phone and used GPS to get to the groomer in 10 minutes.  I love my phone.

When I got back to the house, the football game was starting so I decided unpacking could wait for a while.  That was Saturday afternoon.  I haven't touched another box since then.  Yesterday, we decided we deserved a lazy day of laying around watching football and enjoying the house.  So that's what we did.  Nothing was accomplished and I'm ok with that.  I'll post pictures when I feel like the house is presentable.


I knew we were moving to the middle of nowhere but I'm not sure I was prepared for it.  It's going to take some time to get used to the "country" life.  Some examples...

We went to the local grocery store on Saturday and when I pulled out my debit card to pay, the cashier pointed to a sign that said "NO DEBIT/CREDIT CARDS".  What?  I didn't even know places existed that don't accept credit cards anymore. 

We have to wait until the 28th for our stove and fridge to be delivered which sucks.  They don't keep a lot of items in stock out here so everything has to be special ordered.  I didn't want to order them before closing in case something went wrong.  Howard's co-worker had an old mini-fridge he wasn't using so we have that in the garage right now.  We've been grilling so we can eat hot food.  Somehow Howard managed to cook sausage and pancakes on the grill Sunday morning.  I have no idea how he pulled that off but it was delicious. 

Saturday night, Howard and I were hungry so he wanted to order a pizza.  He called Domino's, Papa John's and Pizza Hut.  Not one delivers.  Best answer we got was to drive about 10 miles to a church where they would meet us.  Um, that really defeats the purpose of delivery! 

I walked outside Saturday night for a phone call and was greeted by the lovely sight of a skunk on the driveway.  I hauled ass right back inside and was afraid to walk the dogs later.  I didn't see him again last night but I smelled him.  Very awesome. 

The area surrounding our house is pitch black.  I mean like walk into your closet, turn off the light, bury your face in your clothes dark.  I can see every single star but it's pretty hard to walk the dogs when I can't even see where I am going.  And me being me, I think someone is out there hiding in the dark, of course.  I'm sure I'm going to be a nervous wreck when Howard is out of town next week for work.  He had today off so he's at Lowe's buying deadbolts, motion sensor lights and blinds for EVERY window.  We've even discussed getting a gun.  I'm not sure I want to go that far yet.  I suppose it will depend on how I do alone next week...

And the kicker!  We woke up this morning to a freezing house.  The heat isn't working.  Yay.  Howard also gets to work on that today.  Oh the joys of being homeowners!  We can't just call the landlord anymore and tell him to fix it.

But with all that said, it doesn't stop me from looking around the house in awe of what we were lucky enough to find.  I absolutely love it.  It already feels like home. 

1 comment: