Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Weekend Update

I was all set to post some pictures but I just realized my camera battery is dead.  So words will have to suffice for now. 

This past weekend was beautiful.  It was over 65 both days!  We slept in a bit on Saturday which was nice.  Howard has finally figured out that if he allows the dogs to sleep with us, they won't be up at 7:30 in the morning whining at the door to be let out.  Instead, they are perfectly content sleeping the day away with us. 

We made our way to Paducah and powered through stops at Kohl's, Lowe's (my new most favorite store in the world...for realz), the car wash, the shop for an oil change and then finally made it to Outback to celebrate Valentine's Day since we were too lazy to go out last weekend.  I love me some Outback.  When the waiter came by for our drink orders, he asked if we wanted an appetizer.  Howard took the liberty to shake his head while continuing to stare down at the menu.  I let it go thinking to myself, he's right, we definitely don't need the Bloomin' Onion (key word: need, because I most certainly wanted one).  The waiter came back and took our orders and the menus and walked off and that's when I couldn't hold my tongue any longer.

Me:  Soooooooo, no appetizer huh?
Howard:  Do we need one?
Me:  Well, noooo, but it's Outback...
Howard:  You mean you want a Bloomin' Onion?
Me:  Sorta, I don't know, I guess...Yes.I.Want.One.
Howard:  Oh good!  I want one too but I just didn't want to be the one that said it.

And the waiter just happened to walk by at that exact moment and ask if we needed anything.  Why yes we do actually, a giant heart attack in the form of a Bloomin' Onion please.  The week after V-Day only happens once a year people.  You gotta celebrate the right way.  With a massive coronary.

Sunday, we slept in again and then I made my weekly trip to Wally World.  I know I've said it before, but I really miss Wegmans.  I would go over there after work when I was only feeding myself and pick something out to make myself for dinner.  This was one of my go-to's.



So imagine my delight when I saw them in the fresh seafood section at Wal-mart.  No, seriously, imagine it.  And then quadruple it.  Because that's how excited I was.  I was heading towards the checkout counters when Howard called requesting the following items:  hot dogs, buns, baked beans, graham crackers, Hershey's chocolate bars and marshmallows.  I didn't know what he had planned but I knew camping really wasn't on the agenda for a Sunday.  I nixed the S'mores makings (because I hate s'mores - that's right Rach, another food I despise, just add it to the list) and he said he didn't really care about them either.  When I got home, he was in the backyard with piles of sticks and branches he had collected from the fence line.  He was planning a bonfire =)  Man, I love the country. 

I went inside to make lunch and unpack the groceries.  And then I got hooked on Ocean's Thirteen (which is the only movie where I find Brad Pitt attractive...FYI) and ended up staying inside for a while.  When the movie was over, I headed outside and couldn't believe all Howard had done.  Then I felt really guilty about sitting on the couch for the past couple of hours.  We had bought clothesline to hang on the existing clothesline poles so figured the least (and easiest) thing I could do would be to hang the lines.  What I wasn't expecting was the wasp nests inside the poles.  I spent the next hour with my trusty stick I snagged from one of the numerous piles and the hose trying to flush the nests out.  Oh the fun!  All the while, Howard was just enjoying his hard day's work feeding wood to the fire, laughing at the apparently hilarious faces I was making while concentrating so intently. 

While clearing out some of the brush/trash on the tree line, Howard found an old birdhouse.  I bet in it's hay day, it looked something like this:



But it looks nothing like that now.  However, it's still been attached to our shed.  It matches the shed since they are both in about the same condition - weathered, worn and beat to hell.  Just the way I like 'em. 

We never did get around to roasting hot dogs because it began raining.  They will have to wait for this Sunday's bonfire :)

No comments:

Post a Comment