Monday, August 31, 2009

My Vacation

So I've been MIA lately because I went home to VA for a week. I left work on Friday the 21st at 11 to meet Howard at home so he could drop me at the Nashville airport 2 hours away. My flight was at 3:30...or was supposed to be at 3:30. Howard dropped me off and I went and checked in via the electronic touch screen. While walking toward my gate, I noticed that the departures screen was showing a departure time of 3:50. Not too bad. Then my phone rang and it was Southwest telling me my new flight time was 5:20. This wouldn't have been such a big deal if I wasn't flying into BWI and Jeanette and Matt weren't picking me up. I called Jeannette and let her know about the delay and went to have a beer while I was waiting. Next thing I know, the flight is delayed again until 5:50. Then again until...well, they had no freakin clue when. I called Jeannette again and told her I would just get a rental car so she wouldn't be driving aimlessly around BWI waiting for me. In the meantime, I spent the next couple hours stalking some guy I knew I had seen on TV and figured had to be a country music star considering I was in Nashville and he had a guitar. I sneaked some pictures of him and sent them to Howard expecting him to figure it out for me but he had no idea. Around 6:30, the Southwest agent came over the speaker and told us to go get food or do some shopping because it was going to be a while. I was hovering near the booth trying to get some insider information while other passengers took off to get some food. Not even 10 minutes later, they called us to board. At least 1/4 of the passengers weren't there but they didn't wait for them. One guy was on the plane telling the flight attendant that his friend had gone to smoke a cigarette outside and he was now running to the plane. They wouldn't wait for him. Not right at all. So we finally got up in the air and then once we hit Baltimore, we hit turbulence. And then the pilot comes on and tells us we have to fly in a holding pattern for another 45 the turbulence. Ugh. We finally land and then we have to wait another 45 minutes because the gate crew couldn't direct us in in the lightning. I got off the plane at 11 pm. I was supposed to have gotten in at 6:10 pm. Needless to say, I was not happy. I called Enterprise and made a reservation then hopped on the shuttle to take me there. Once I arrived, I noticed the line for Enterprise was ridiculous but no one was at Budget or Alamo. Since I had a reservation, I went ahead and got in the line for Enterprise. While standing there, I realized I had some sort of card for Enterprise they had sent me a while back. It stated I was a plus member. Score! There was no one in the line for the plus members so I got out of line and went to stand in it. The couple standing in front of the regular line gave me the dirtiest looks I have ever seen. I was trying to hold my card so he could see it. When the lady at the plus counter left, I proceeded to walk up to the counter. Before I could get there, the guy from the couple in line, ran ahead of me pretty much knocking me out of the way and said "No way, we have been waiting in line! We are next" to which the man behind the counter replied after seeing the card in my hand "Sorry sir, but you will need to get back in line, she is next because she is a plus member". Normally, I would have let the couple go ahead of me because I am way too nice, but not that night. I had been waiting all day for flights and I was tired. I really wanted to tell the guy to back the eff up but I smiled politely instead. Then I told the Enterprise guy that it was the first thing to go right for me all day and who knew a stupid little plastic card could be so handy. I got to Jeannette's house at midnight and she was already passed out. Oh well. At least I got there.

Saturday, I woke up and went and got a pedicure! Then I went and had pizza with my mom and brother. Then it was off to Josh and Jen's for the fantasy draft. I'm not all that happy with my team but it's early and that could change. After the draft we proceeded to play beer pong and drink way too much until way too late. I woke up at 1:30 in the afternoon on Sunday feeling like a train had run over me at some point during the night. Josh, Jen, Rockett and I were laying on the couches feeling near death when Jen decided to be a savior and go to Glory Days for carry-out. I love her. I finally rolled off their couch about 4:30 to go back to Jeannette's to take an ice cold shower and then go to my parent's house to surprise my dad for his 60th birthday. My brother had also come into town to surprise him. We went to dinner at McCormick & Schmick's in Tysons. Big mistake. Food and service was terrible but the company was good :)

Monday my brother, mom and I went down to Richmond to see my sister and grandmother. We had lunch at the seafood restaurant at Bass Pro Shops. It was my first time in one and it is now my new favorite store. Lunch was great as well. We headed to my grandma's next and though we couldn't spend a lot of time there, I had a great time seeing her.

Tuesday - Lunch with Heather at the Old Brogue, shopping with my mom then happy hour at Wings with Netty and Michael - then met up with Matt later.

Wednesday - Slept past lunch with Dawn (sorry girl!), more shopping with my mom then happy hour at Glory Days with Jen.

Thursday - And MORE shopping with my mom then wine tasting given my Dawn at Amanda and Amy's house...I never thought I liked wine but pair it with tons of tasty cheese from Wegman's and it's delicious! Too bad I couldn't order any to my house because they won't send to Kentucky. My free bottle has to be shipped to Jeannette's house...who thinks I will ever see that bottle??

Friday - Lunch and yes, more shopping with my mom, then happy hour at Wings again with Nicole, Amanda, Matt, Ashley and Jason. Then a little get together back at Jeannette's with everyone plus Joe and Amy where we played charades allllll night. So much fun. Props to Matt for actually getting into it this time!

Saturday - Lunch at my mom's then off to the airport where my flight was actually on time! Only problem was Howard had a flight out to Montana earlier that morning from Nashville so he dropped my car there for me to pick up. He told me it was in D2 and that he had walked from the lot to the airport. So I took off walking in the direction he told me which was diagonal right. I could not find a D2 and I couldn't get a hold of Howard because he was in flight from Denver to Montana. I finally ended up getting on a shuttle to long-term parking crossing my fingers that I had remembered D2 from previous flights out of Nashville where I had left my car. The last stop on the shuttle was D2 and there was my car. Only took me about an hour to find it. Wouldn't you know that as I was getting off the shuttle, Howard calls to give me better directions. I have no idea how he walked from there?!?

Yesterday I spent the day on the couch watching girly movies with the dogs :) And now I'm back at work. Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment