Tuesday, August 11, 2009

House Hunting

For the last 3 years or so that Howard has lived here, he has been told that eventually his office will be moving from Paducah to Murray. We've been living in Benton which is located between the two cities so that when his office did move, he would still have an easy commute. Paducah and Murray are about an hour from each other with Benton right in the middle. We got word that his office is definitely moving to Murray in October. They are even having a ribbon cutting ceremony on the 27th of that month which I can't help but find funny.

This means we can finally look to buy a house in the Murray area. We met our realtor on Saturday morning to look at 4 houses. Howard wants land. Preferably more than 3 acres. He's a farm boy and wants what he's used to. I couldn't care less about the land but I do like how serene and quiet it is in the more country parts of the area. The first house we looked at was perfect and we both fell in love with it. Thankfully we agreed that the second and third houses were piles of crap. Both of them were located right next door to run-down trailers too. My only real stipulation is that I will not have to look at an eye sore every morning when I wake up. I don't think that is too much to ask. Our realtor had to get a key from the seller's real estate office for the fourth house. We got there and couldn't find it at first because there wasn't a for sale sign. We finally found it and it's brand new owners moving in. No clue why the agent would give us the key when the house had already sold.

The realtor took us to lunch that afternoon to discuss options for the first house. None of those options panned out though. I am not going to waste my time on talking about how excited we were and how it didn't work out in the end. Pointless. There are plenty more houses out there to fall in love with. It just wasn't meant to be.

After lunch we went to the Murray version of our Paducah bar (I felt like a traitor). We sat down and the bartender didn't even acknowledge us. No one at the bar did either. I am not used to this. And then it dawned on us that by moving to Murray, we are virtually starting over. We don't know anyone. No one knows us (except for the lady who randomly recognized us from breakfast at the Pancake House earlier that morning). We have friends in Paducah. We know the regulars. They know us. Tear :(

I joked to Howard that the bartender should just call the bartender, Potter at our bar and Potter can tell him how great we are and then we skip the next couple of" get to know ya" years and we can just be BFF's already. If it was only that easy...

On a positive note:

1. The bar is a lot nicer. They have pool tables, basketball, darts, TWO Mega-Touches and a bunch of other games.

2. At least will be living in a city where they serve alcohol at bars though you still can't buy it at a gas station. We will have to cross into Tennessee to buy beer or liquor. We made the drive a couple weekends ago and it only took 15 minutes round trip so that's not too bad.

3. That's it. I can't think of another one. So sad.

Sunday we decided to go to the bar in Paducah. Howard and I were talking to Kenny, one of our favorite regulars. He's probably in his late 50's/early 60's and is just as nice as can be. (Side note: I have two favorite regulars. The other one is Brad who is in his mid-30's.) We were talking about the Cash for Clunkers program and he says, "My son Brad, well you know Brad, went up to the Toyota dealer...." I didn't even follow the rest of the conversation because I was trying to process what my brain was telling me. Kenny has a son named Brad. The Brad? My Brad? Kenny got up to go to the bathroom and I looked over at Howard who looked just as perplexed as I did. We've had conversations with both of them at the same time and I never put it together. I asked Potter about Kenny and Brad thinking he was just going to tell me it was coincedence. Nope, they are father and son and we had no idea. This just doubled their cool-factor though. And doubled my clueless-factor.

1 comment:

  1. how funny your two favorite people are father and son. good luck with the house hunting. we looked at 23 houses before we picked one if that makes you feel any better!

    ReplyDelete