Thursday, July 1, 2010

Happy 4th =)

After 6 months of living in Graves County, I finally decided to go get my driver's license and registration changed over on Tuesday morning.  I was told to go to the County Courthouse in Mayfield to get this done.  I walked in and several people were sitting on benches in the hallway.  I had no idea what I was doing so I asked the nearest stranger where to go to change my driver's license and he pointed down the hall.  I walked down the hall passing courtrooms until I came to a little nook that said, "Driver's License".  I was the only one there.  There were only 2 chairs in the entire "waiting room".  Although she wasn't very friendly and didn't tell me when she was taking my picture so I ended up with a license with what looks like a mugshot, I was still done in less than 10 minutes.  I asked her where to go to get my registration done and she pointed to the elevator and told me to go down a floor.  Again, when I walked in, I was the only one there and was helped immediately.  One more reason to love KY.  No actual DMVs!


Sunday night, we brought the dogs in from their nightly walk and let them off their leashes.  They both darted through the kitchen to a corner where their food is stored.  At first we thought they were both very hungry but then we noticed they weren't looking at the food but underneath the rolling drawer.  Howard pulled the cabinet out and a tiny little mouse ran out from underneath and darted down the hallway and under the closed spare bedroom door with Copper and Jack on its heels.  Howard set a mousetrap in the room and we went to bed. 

On Monday, I was sitting on the couch and Howard was standing to my left telling me a story.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see the mouse enter the living room behind Howard.  He could tell something was wrong so he turned quickly and saw it dart back into the kitchen.  Copper had seen it too so he was now on the chase.  He cornered it near the garage door but it escaped and ran down the stairs under the closed basement door.  Howard moved the trap from the spare bedroom to the basement.

On Tuesday, I had just gotten in from taking the dogs out after work and was standing at the kitchen island going through the mail.  Copper and Jack were back in the corner near the garage door sniffing.  I turned my head to watch just as the mouse ran for the closed basement door again.  Except this time, Copper was faster.  All of a sudden, half the mouse was hanging out of Copper's mouth.  I screamed and Copper dropped the mouse and ran behind me along with Jack.  There on the floor, is a poor little Fievel, half-dead struggling to make it to the basement door.  I knew I couldn't leave it there because Copper wasn't ready to be done with it.  So I took two red solo cups and scooped the mouse up and tossed everything into a plastic bag.  And yes, I may have been crying the whole time. 


I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July!  We have decided to make it pretty low-key this year.  Me, Howard, the dogs, the grill, the pool, some beer and fireworks.  It doesn't get much better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment