Monday, February 7, 2011

The Wrong Kind of Snow

What's the old saying?  Be careful what you wish for?  Well I've been wishing and hoping and praying for snow and we finally got it.  But I was hoping more for the kind of snow that keeps me out of work. Snow that lets me sleep in. Snow that I could watch out the window from my comfy, cozy bed. Snow that lets me crack a beer at noon. That kind of snow.


The problem with this snow was I was already at work since all they were calling for was a light dusting.  Instead about 7 inches fell in about 4 hours.  I finally decided to leave work around 11:15.  I drove really slow on the untreated roads.  Cars were stranded in ditches all along the streets.  I kept sliding but I managed to stay on the road.  The main roads weren't as bad but they still weren't plowed or salted.  Then I got to my back country road.  Of course it was a mess.  I could barely see where the road was and when I finally felt like I was home free, I slid backwards down the hill right before my driveway.  7 times!  Did I mention there is a long drop off into a creek at the bottom of the hill?  Because that's all I could think about each time I slid back down.  But I made it!  To my driveway where I proceeded to get stuck halfway on the road and halfway in my driveway. 


At least I was home though.  I got the shovel and the salt and tried for an hour to get my car out of the road.  I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my car wasn't moving.  I felt like I had shoveled out all the ice and snow around the tires, but it just wouldn't move.

(So here's the part I debated revealing.  I left this minor detail out when telling both Howard and Leslie the story immediately after it happened.  But I've come to terms with what an idiot I can sometimes be so here goes.)

When I first got stuck and left the car in the road to grab the shovel and the salt, I pulled the emergency break up so my car wouldn't slide backwards into the ravine on the other side of the road.  And then?  Yep, I never put it back down.  That's why my car wasn't moving.  Genius, right?  Luckily when a bus came up the hill and I went to try one more time so they could pass by, I noticed.  I was able to get my car far enough up the driveway so the bus could get by.  But that was it.  I was finished.  So here she sits.  She looks happy there, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment